Mitzvah Volunteer Program (MVP)
MVP is our inclusive access point for tweens and teens (6th & 7th Graders – ages 12-14) who are interested in getting involved in Philly Friendship Circle & being inclusive friends. MVP is also an engaging and meaningful Bar/Bat Mitzvah program. The program builds a foundation to understand and accept each other’s differences and how to apply those lessons at school, synagogue, home, and future Philly Friendship Circle programs!
Through activities, games, and multimedia presentations, MVP participants learn about communication, human development, diagnosis and more. We teach these subjects through special needs advocacy, Jewish values, and current events. This dynamic and interactive approach opens doors to meaningful discussion and personal growth for participants. In addition to weekday gatherings, participants and their parents attend Sunday Circle to get hands-on experience participating in our programs.
What to Expect: MVP Time Commitment
- Five Weekday Gatherings (2 in-person, 3 virtual)
- In-Person Initial Gathering – 1.5 hours, at our office, 1 Belmont Ave, Bala Cynwyd, PA. (At least one parent must attend.)
- 3 Virtual Gatherings – 1 hour each, on Zoom. (Parents do not attend.)
- In-Person Graduation Gathering – 1.5 hours, at our office, 1 Belmont Ave, Bala Cynwyd, PA. (At least one parent must attend.)
- Three Sunday Circle Programs (all in-person)
Get a glimpse behind the scenes and join our fun programs with new friends!
- MVPers are required to attend 3 Sunday Circles.
- MVP parents are required to attend two of those Sunday Circles: The 1st Sunday Circle that their teen attends, as well as 1 of the other 2 that their teen attends, in order to learn more about the program and serve as an adult volunteer.
Please see below for our MVP session dates for the 2023-2024 school year. Check out which one of the 4 sessions you would like to attend!
SESSION 1 – Wednesdays: 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8 (PLUS Sunday Circle on 10/15, 10/22, 11/12)
SESSION 2 – Mondays: 11/20, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11, 12/18 (PLUS Sunday Circle on 12/3, 12/10, 12/17)
SESSION 3 – Thursdays: 1/18, 1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/15 (PLUS Sunday Circles on 1/21, 1/28, 2/4)
SESSION 4 – Wednesdays: 2/28, 3/6, 3/13, 3/20, 3/27 (Plus Sunday Circles on 3/3, 3/10 and Zoo Trip on 3/17 OR Purim Celebration on 3/24)
These are the steps to register for MVP:
- Please fill out our general intake form (click here) to become an “official” member of our Philly Friendship Circle community!
- Our Communications and Engagement Lead will schedule an introductory Zoom call with your child AND at least one parent. (Intro Zoom calls are noncommittal and the perfect opportunity for children and parents to ask questions, bring up scheduling concerns, etc.)
- The final step is to submit the MVP Commitment and Deposit Form for your child via our website. Our Communications and Engagement Lead will share it with you!
- As per that form, to guarantee your child’s commitment, a refundable deposit of $180 is required prior to the 1st MVP gathering of their session. You will be directed to make your deposit through the form but it is not due until the 1st MVP gathering session.
“Although I was apprehensive at first to join Philly Friendship Circle, the more I participated, the more comfortable I felt. Philly Friendship Circle taught me kindness and respect because I learned… how to embrace other people’s differences.” – Mia, graduate of our MVP program, from the pulpit at her Bat Mitzvah
Email our Communications & Engagement Lead, Chava Tova, to learn more!